Which Countries Does The Uk Have A Double Taxation Agreement With


    It is much more common to use the services of a qualified accountant experienced in applying for tax relief through double taxation treaties. Fees vary depending on the level of complexity of a person`s personal situation, in almost all cases, tax savings exceed the costs incurred by hiring an accountant – and they can be sure that they are paying the right amount of tax with absolute confidence. If you have retired in another EU country and are spending more than 6 months a year there, that country may consider you a tax resident. If so, you may have to pay taxes on all your worldwide income in that country, including pensions you receive from other EU countries. In order to determine whether it is possible and how to subsequently apply a double taxation agreement, it is essential to determine the situation of the “contractual residence” of the person, since it is the country of the contractual residence that usually takes over the taxing rights. The length of your stay abroad and whether or not you have a solid foundation there are often not taken into account: The deciding factor is performance in the country. For example, if you pay 15% tax on your foreign income in the country where the income is generated, you may still have to pay taxes in the UK if you are a resident here. If the UK tax rate is 20%, you would actually only have to pay 5% of the taxes in the UK as you would get relief (or a foreign tax credit) for the 15% of taxes paid abroad. Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or get professional tax assistance if you are unsure or need help with double taxation relief. .